Recently engaged and starting to plan your wedding? Congrats….that’s fab news!
We wanted to give you a wee bit of a hand to get your wedding planning underway…..so we’ve put together a few pointers from our wedding team on how to plan your perfect vintage-theme wedding!
Vintage themes are incredibly flexible with lots of accessories, colour schemes and decorations which can all be worked into your vintage wedding set-up!
Here our top tips for creating your ideal vintage style…
1. Age your venue with carefully placed, charming decoration – antique detailing on a few items, a touch of lace, and weathered accents go a long way to creating that vintage/decade feel! Let your venue define your style. Some places suit certain vintage décor better than others so let the room do the talking! For example, if you’re having your vintage reception in a ballroom, 1920s art deco would be perfect! Hosting the wedding breakfast in a barn? Rustic, lace and hessian work their charm best! Whereever the venue, a simple touch not only adds a period feeling but simply oozes romance! This hessian/lace tablerunner, spotted at one of the wedding breakfasts held in Smiths at Gretna Green, set the room perfectly for this reception tying together the timeless atmosphere created by flowers and accessories placed around the room.
2. Use your invitations and to set the tone – from ‘old-world’ font to aged paper to antique designs, creating your save-the-dates and invitations in the same style lets your guests know what to expect….and sets the mood!
3. Keep your flowers simple. Loose bundles, centrepieces made from pastel colours or light flowers (such as these baby’s breath-inspired vases from Smiths) add a wonderfully vintage feeling to any space….especially when paired with lace or hessian ribbon or table runners!
4. Work in your family history. From old photos to heirlooms (if you’re happy and willing to share these ….), pocket squares to watches, nothing says vintage like pieces from the period!
5. Live music! Have a look at what bands are available in your area – live music, especially if the band plays tunes from the decade of your choice, will not only compliment your theme but get your guests into a dancing mood! Here at Smiths, our wedding team is happy to recommend or help put you in contact with musicians who will help kick off the exciting entertainment you’ve got planned!
6. Colour/Table Setup – choosing neutrals (ivory, silver, beige) with subtle pastel accents, coloured glass and antiqued details (stacks of old books, clocks, birdcages) is the way to go! Need inspiration – here’s a few photos from a couple of our favourite vintage-theme weddings spotted at Smiths Hotel! For even more ideas, why not check out our Wedding Receptions album on facebook!
Got that all sorted? Thought about your send-off? Classic confetti or even white rice will do the trick!
So there you have it! One vintage-themed wedding checklist ready to go….fancy planning your own vintage ‘do here at Gretna Green? Our talented wedding team love themed receptions so give us a quick call on 01461 336001 and we’ll get your vintage wedding underway!